Sunday 23 October 2011

Christmas crazies

This year, people can actually talk to me about Christmas, at this point in the year, without me wanting to scream. That does not mean that the Christmas decorations that I saw today at West Edmonton Mall are OK (it's not even Halloween yet!) but being able to talk to me about Christmas without me screaming is a definite improvement.

For the past four years, I've been in post-secondary. Getting to the end of October was an exercise in survival, never mind getting anywhere near December. I literally could not think about Christmas until Dec. 22 or so. I was a girl who shopped for Christmas presents on Dec. 23. I had to. For the sake of my sanity, I could not do it any other way.

My parents and grandparents, however, like to ask for Christmas lists at the end of September. Beginning to see the problem? This year, it's been kind of great. I actually started a Christmas list in July, so I was ready to give it to my parents at the end of September.

What I wasn't ready for, was that my parents would ask me for it, over and over and over and over and over and over again. And over again. The first time we talked, they forgot to write it down. I don't know what their excuse was the second and third and fourth and possibly fifth time. The sixth time, they wanted a list to give to my grandparents.

Yeah, the list still hasn't changed – though, to be fair, there are a couple of things I've added as I've thought of a couple things I'd like. These are the things I want. Decide among yourselves who wants to give me what. I am not dreaming up eight different lists for everyone in the family. Here's the master list. Do what you want with it.

I am only slightly worried I will be unwrapping socks this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment